Sunday, January 25, 2009

I've been HAD...again.

Well, I've been scammed for the second time in China.  I am really, really sad because I want so badly to make friends in this country, and to love it here, and my experiences are just making me lose faith in my love for traveling.

In Beijing on my first day, I was approached by two young "university students" who were on their way to their "student art show".  I thought I was so lucky to be meeting nice, English speaking art students on my first day.  Their "art show" was counterfeit art that had been reproduced and they were selling it as "student art".  I had to make a purchase before I was allowed to leave.  I cried on my way to the Forbidden City.

Today in Shanghai, on Chinese New Year, I went to the People's Square in hopes of seeing...you know, people.  No one seems to celebrate Chinese New Year like the travel channel makes you believe.  There were no lion dances, no fireworks, no crowds or parades.  So I decided to see the Shanghai Museum (beautiful old bronze artifacts and Chinese calligraphy), and the Shanghai Art Museum (wonderful contemporary paintings by Wu Guangzhou).  

On my way back around People's Square, in hopes of getting something to eat, a group of "students" said hello to me and began talking about Obama and America, etc. etc.  They asked me where I was going, and I said I was going to get something to eat.  They said they were "students" from another city outside of Shanghai and were celebrating their vacation in the city. A friend of theirs had recommended a tea ceremony, and they were wondering if I would like to go with them.  At this point you are probably thinking "Kendall! It's SO OBVIOUS!"  but at the time, it seemed very legitimate and I did a gut check and my instincts said that I would be safe.

So off I go down the street with this group of "students" - 2 boys and 2 girls.  When we arrive in the mall-like building they act lost, and as though they can't find the number of the tea house.  They find it and in we go.  The entire tea ceremony was very cool.  I thought how lucky I was to have made friends in Shanghai, and to have people to talk to, and we even made plans to see the Yuyuan Gardens tomorrow.  My naivete is embarrassing...

And then the bill came...People, let me just tell you that the total was EXORBITANT, something like 2,400 Yuan, which is $350 dollars.  I had seen the menu when we sat down - the tea service was 30 yuan per person, and then 39 yuan for each tea.  I should have been paying all of 69 yuan.  At this point, I knew it was a scam and that my "friends" were in cahoots with the tea house.  The "students" expected me to pay for myself and for the girl who had "translated" the service for me and for most of their expenses as well.  I luckily had not carried my ATM card with me, and had only 220 yuan on me.  I pulled out the 200 yuan I had and told them flat out that this was all I had.  They said they would put the rest of the bill on one of the guy's cards and I could "pay them back".  

I was pretty panicked at this point and knew I had to get out of there.  One person against four people doesn't really work.  As we were leaving the room they said "we have to exit this way to get to the street", which was down a long mysterious hallway that we did NOT enter from.  I told them no, we came this way and walked back the way I had come.  When I reached the ground floor, they again told me "we have to go this way to get to the street", I looked around, saw a policeman and said, "no, the metro is this way".  I'm not incredibly stupid.  I might be trusting but I do not go down unknown hallways with "students" who scam me.  I knew they were really hoping to rob me.  They were still keeping up their act when we parted ways.

I was just relieved to be heading back to the unassuming subway.  I cried on my way there.  I didn't even care.  People stare at me anyway.  Let them have a real reason to stare.  I am very hurt, because I am really trying my best to learn this culture and to meet people and to be a good citizen of the world.  I am sad because now I will not trust someone whose intention are genuine, because I have had such a scary experience.

The subway had never looked so good...I spent my last remaining yuan on a subway ticket and "convenient noodles" (AKA instant noodles).  I'm back at the hotel, with a sad heart but a safe body.  I hope that these experiences don't complete jade my trip, but I must admit, this is the most difficult country I have ever traveled in (and I've traveled in many).  But tomorrow I will head out there again, and I will remember that if anyone approaches me, it's probably not out of the goodness of their heart, but out of the desire of their pocketbook.  Oh, and I'm gonna put my money in my shoe...

Love,
Kendall

No comments:

Post a Comment