My students continue to be hilarious. I have a one-on-one class with a bright young man named Caleb who is a university student trying to get to England to study electrical engineering. He was telling me about his favorite movie. He said that he didn't know the English name of it, but it was during World War II, about a man and his son:
Caleb: "You know, during World War II, with that bad man, Shitler."
Kendall: "Excuse me, who?"
Caleb: "Shitler."
Kendall: (laughing) "Shitler? Shitler? Oh oh! You mean HITLER!"
At this point I had to explain two words to him, one being "shit" and the other being "Hitler". It was a joy to point out to him that his minor error was, in fact, very accurate, since Hitler was a total shit. In any case, can you guess the movie?? "Life is Beautiful", of course...
Currently my adult students are competing over the latest issue of "People" magazine that I bought in Shanghai for nearly $10, and my little girls are learning how to spell their numbers. My mid-level students, including the infamous 7-year-old named Amy, continue to delight me with their witty expressions. Today, while Amy was drawing a hippo, I was talking to our Chinese teacher Yoyo (great names, huh?) about my plans after my contract is up:
Yoyo: "Will you travel in China after you are done?"
Kendall: "No....I'm going to Thailand. It's too cold in China..."
Amy: (very annoyed) "That's because it's WINTER!!!"
And so of course I accepted a lunch invitation with little Amy and her mother for Friday afternoon. She is hilarious, gifted, and precocious. She is also a gifted calligrapher, chess player and EATER. Lunch will be a comedy act. I will keep you posted....
Love you all...
Kendall
No comments:
Post a Comment