Hi All,
Well, I only have 2 more weeks of teaching left! I will be heading to Thailand around February 24th! Hurray! I have become quite attached to my kids though, so it's sad to think that this time has gone so fast.
This week I indulged in traditional Mongolian hot-pot, which is kinda like the fondue of Genghis Khan. I'm serious. Genghis Khan invented it. I guess he was trying to eat before a big battle, and the cook was so slow and the other army was advancing so quickly, that Genghis just threw all of the meat and vegetables into a pot of boiling water and fished them out as they came to the surface...
Speaking of fish, they put the WHOLE FISH into the hot-pot...It was pretty tasty. I tried mutton too. Things are getting crazy up here! The weather is getting warmer and my eyeballs don't freeze in my head any more. Oh, and I finally went to the fancy bar at the Holiday Inn, and it WAS actually quite fancy. One drink cost the same as our entire meal at our local, whole-in-the-wall restaurant, where I got to hold a local baby and make it cry - every Chinese baby is ridiculously cute!
Today I visited the Inner Mongolia Museum with Arena, my Chinese co-teacher. She is a very sweet girl, but I don't think anyone has told her that her English name means "sports stadium". I learned about the Mongolian landscape, the history and the culture. I even got to see traditional dancing! They had amazing life-like wax figures of Genghis Khan (whose name means "universal ruler"), and they even had one of him meeting Marco Polo!
My Chinese has improved, and the greatest achievement of my trip so far was when I went to a local restaurant by myself this week, and ordered in Chinese. I was ridiculously proud of myself. It doesn't take much to please me...
Enjoy the pictures!
Love,
Kendall
No comments:
Post a Comment